Friday, July 30, 2010

Days 6-8 of 21

When I asked the kidlets what they would like to do, they all said, "NO MUSEUMS". That would be why we spent Day five playing mini golf and swimming in Lake Ramsey. But, I had seen a brochure that talked about Science North and Dynamic Earth and just knew the kids would like it. So I lured them there with phrases like, "animatronic dinosaurs", "free-flying butterfly exhibit", "dinosaur dig", "IMAX movie", "seven story elevator ride down to an underground mine tour."

I hoped it would be worth it.

It was well worth every penny!!!

We started Wednesday with Science North.
The entrance into the science center.
While walking through, I thought, "wow, this looks so realistic!!!" Uh Duh!!! It's because it IS REAL. I think I've been to Disneyland one toooooo many times....

shiver, shiver....... Jessica holding a millipede.

Inside the butterfly exhibit.

I promised animatronic dinosaurs and we saw a whole exhibit of animatronic dinosaurs!!

What's a science center without bottle rockets?

On your mark, get set, go!!! (although it was all said in french...)
After you ran your 30 feet, then a TV would play back your start in slow motion... very cool.

Ewwww.... snakes.... I hate snakes....

Alyssa and Jonathan racing cars they made.

Jessica working with a magnet.

Thursday we went to Dynamic Earth.


In the simulated mine.

Our tour guide had all the kids in the group help set up dynamite for a simulated blast. I LOVE this picture of Alyssa... I don't think she wants to be a miner. What do you think?

Back up in the center, Jessica is trying out the remote-controlled rock breaker. She was actually moving the rock breaker as tours were watching the machine seven stories below.

Jonathan using the caterpillar excavator simulator.

The best part of Dynamic Earth was the three level miniature mine. The kids spent HOURS and HOURS playing here...

Jessica sending up more rock.

Alyssa at the command center.
"we need more rock.... wait, we have to move this rock, we have nowhere to put all this new rock..... okay, send up more rock."


Because I had bought a "Dynamic Duo Passport" for each of us, we could go back to both centers on Friday. And we went back to both. First we went to Dynamic Earth so we could watch "Forces of Nature". This was a film about volcanoes, earthquakes and tornadoes. Because we had just had a tornado in Billings, I thought the kids would get a 'kick' out of the movie.... they did, until we went to Maryland.... more on that later....
Ahem, anyhoo, after we saw the movie and the kids played in the mini mine, again, we went back to science north to finish up seeing everything there.

Dinosaur dig. I love that they had to wear safety goggles... because safety first.

Jessica holding a walking stick. I didn't know they could get that big and blotchy looking....

Alyssa holding a water snake... and yes they can bite!! I swear the kids were just trying to freak me out at this point.

Learning about erosion.
The lady at the center said that my kids made a better dam than some college kids she had there the week before. I'd take credit, but it's all Papa Echo's teaching when it comes to this "sciency stuff".

We'll just finish up the science center with Alyssa petting a skunk. Because, why wouldn't she want to pet a skunk. By the way, she said it was VERY, VERY soft. Not that I would know....

And with that, we were done with our visit to Sudbury. On to Toronto and Niagra Falls.

1 comment:

tif-do said...

It all looks so fun!!!