Monday, October 26, 2009

Lending a helping hand at the grocery store...

I went to the grocery store for Diet Coke (most importantly) and milk and other things including a card. A little old lady came up to me asking where the get well cards were. I showed her the little section and she asked what I thought would be an appropriate card for her 30 year old grandson who is having surgery tomorrow. As I started to look, I asked what kind of surgery (to get a feel for how sympathetic the card should be) and she said he was having his foot amputated.

Now, there aren't too many cards anyway, and even fewer that look masculine. She picked out a brown card with a little design and asked me to read it. On the front it said, "One day at a time, One step at a time". The middle, said get well soon, blah, blah, blah. I went to put it back and she said "well, that sounds good...". I looked at her and gently said, "well, I don't know, I mean, he is having his foot amputated, and well, you know, this card talks about taking one step at a time, so, I don't know..." She looked at me like I was speaking a different language and so I said, "yeah, it is a very nice looking card, but let's see if there is another one you like better." She ended up picking out one that was pretty feminine looking, (maybe more "scrapbookie" but we don't have to get technical) AND had a nice message.

I hope her grandson appreciates the card.

And, I'm thinking that I have a very sick sense of humor because part of me thinks he might have gotten a laugh out of the original one.

1 comment:

tif-do said...

I'm right there with you!~